HomeNewsExhibitsYo-YosMemorabiliaRelated Skill ToysArtProfiles & HistoryPatents & ResourcesMessage BoardAbout UssupportOneDropDuncanYoYoExpert
Random Exhibit
15 trick Gold Award

Sites of Interest
National Yo-Yo Museum
Chico CA

Duncan Famous Cattle Brands - Running W
Exhibit #3628
ShapeStandard (-)
ColorSimulated wood
ConstructionMulti-piece plastic
ConditionMint in Package
OwnerRick Brough

An Imperial-shaped yo-yo from Duncan's 1977 Famous Cattle Brands product line.

The plastic yo-yo was molded to look like it was made from aged weathered wood. The mold also included the Duncan "brand" on side A and the cattle brand on side B. In all, there were eight cattle brands to collect. The back of the card identified all eight brands (the text on the back of the card appears ghosted, blurry, or doubled–the result of a printing misalignment). These models came in either dark brown or light brown. The overall shape was identical to Duncan's venerable Imperial plastic model. Used a fixed steel axle.

The yo-yos from this line were inconsistent in how they were mounted on the card. That is, some yo-yos had the Duncan brand logo facing the card front side; other times, it was the cattle brand that faced the card front side. Neither variation is more desireable over the other, if you are collecting these. What is more desirable are complete, painted cattle brand and Duncan brand logos. More often than not, these logos are missing brown paint on the light brown models or black paint on the dark brown models.

The "Running W" brand on side B of this yo-yo is from the famous King Ranch. The meaning of the Running W remains a mystery. The Running W brand was first registered in 1869. Some have said that it represents one of the ranch's many diamondback rattlesnakes or the Santa Gertrudis Creek, while others are sure it signifies the sweeping horns of a Texas Longhorn bull.

King Ranch is located in South Texas between Corpus Christi and Brownsville near Kingsville. It is the largest ranch in Texas. The King Ranch covers 825,000 acres (1,289 sq miles) and was founded in 1853 by Captain Richard King and Gideon K. Lewis.
Other Views
Side A, large
Side B, large

2005-2021 © David W. Hall & Grahame BaptieWright